03 October 2022

Targeted birding

22 August 2022 - Faerie Glen Nature Reserve

Faerie Glen is one of the more reliable reserves for Brown-backed Honeybird and I decided to try and see if I could get some images of this not so easy to see species. Unfortunately it was colder than expected when I arrived, so enjoyed this Red-throated Wryneck just after paying my entrance fee

Red-throated Wryneck (Jynx ruficollis)



I had a long walk up the ridge to where the Honeybird's could be seen displaying - no such luck - it was windy and still cold on top. But I was entertained by White-bellied Sunbird

White-bellied Sunbird (Cinnyris talatala)


Southern Boubou of which there were many

Southern Boubou (Laniarius ferrugineus)


and a relatively obliging Brown-crowned Tchagra

Brown-crowned Tchagra (Tchagra senegalus)


There were also a few Rock Hyrax or Dassie warming themselves up on a sunny outcrop. It is a terrestrial mammal and the only one in the Genus Procavia.

Rock Hyrax (Procavia capensis)


Soon after I cut my losses and headed back home, but would return again in September to try again


No comments:

Post a Comment

Kyalami Estates - December Round-up

31 December 2023 - Kyalami Estates Not much time for birding during December, but still some good species recorded in the 46 that I saw, lik...